Volleyball Frequently Asked Questions
1: When do Fall (Endless Summer) leagues start? Fall (Endless Summer) leagues start the week of August 26th. There is no break between leagues, we start right up. Leagues run eight weeks, plus a week of playoffs. There are no matches on Labor Day, Monday, September 2nd. Thursday Leagues only will start September 6th.
2: How much do Fall (Endless Summer) Leagues cost? 2s cost $160, 4s cost $180 and 6s cost $260. Ref fees for 4s and 6s matches are $10/match.
3: What is the format? Teams play three sets to 21 points, cap. All three are counted toward the team’s overall won/loss record.
4: When are the game times? Matches are at 6,7,8 & 9pm.
5: Are matches ever cancelled due to weather? We play in rain, snow, sleet, fog, and sun! We may delay by half an hour if there is lightning, but we play through the rain. If there is ever a change, captains will be notified. Please do NOT call the restaurant with questions about weather! We will post on FB, email the team captains and get the word out.
6: Does everyone make playoffs? We try to take as many teams as possible for playoffs. The number of teams is determined by the court space we have available, so each league is different. Playoff information is emailed to captains after the league play is completed. The email used to register the team is the email that will receive the information.
7: What are the levels of play? For tournaments, we have all levels from our popular and strong Open Level, to fundraisers that take all levels. For leagues, we have the levels divided from the highest, Platinum, to the lowest, Bronze, with Gold and Silver in between. We try to make the leagues as competitive as possible, while having fun. 6s are recreational level, with the leagues split into the higher Gold level, and the lower Silver level. Another method of rating the level is Platinum = Open/AA/A; Gold = A/BB; Silver = B/C; Bronze = C-learning-to-be-B; Rec is rec. All 6s leagues are rec.
8: Where can I find out standings? Our new website is easy to manipulate, and you’ll be able to see your scores after we enter them. For 2s, players must report their scores after their match either by email TheBeachatSharkeys@gmail.com text or FB message.
9. Is there a list of teams and schedules? If you click on a team’s name, the whole schedule is visible. It makes it easy to see results, times and courts. Captains are listed also.
10. What if the opposing team doesn’t show? Every effort will be made to find your team a match. If a team is found, winning-by-forfeit is not an option. Teams register to play beach volleyball, and The Beach at Sharkey’s will do everything to make that happen.
11. Where can I find a list of available substitutes? We compiled a list for players to access on google drive, shareable link. Player skill levels and contact info are included. It is your team’s responsibility to find subs. We have a pink table near court 1 that has schedules posted. People can write that night if they are available to sub. On FB, there is a page called “The Beach at Sharkey’s”. We encourage players to post there, also.
12: Who can play on Playoff teams? If you play on more than one team, you will have to decide which team is your playoff team. Players may play on only one team for playoffs for all 4s & 6s leagues.. Teams are not allowed to bring in new subs for playoffs.
13: How many females needed on coed teams? For Rec 6s, at least two females must be on the court at all times. 6s teams may play with no fewer than 5 players. For Coed 4s leagues, at least one female must be on the court at all times. 4s teams may play with no fewer than 3 players. Teams may be comprised of more women, the above listed is the minimum.
14. Good Sportsmanship Conduct: If a higher level player is playing on a recreation level team, they will have to play as a team player – no jump serves allowed in 6s, no hard swings or passing ball over on first hit, and serves must be softer. Swearing is not tolerated, and good sportsmanship is emphasized. The Ref has the final say on the level of play.
15. Where are lists of rules? Each team captain was emailed a google drive link to the rules. If you would like the link, please contact TheBeachatSharkeys@gmail.com
16. What is Shark Camp? Great for individuals or teams. Shark Camp is taught by local volleyball athletes and covers all beach skills to help you improve your game. We offer Shark Camp on Mondays beginning June 24th. Juniors will have camp from 5-6pm, Adult Shark Camp is from 6-7pm. Players can show up and pay-per-session. Shark Camp ends August 12th.
17. What is offered with the Juniors Programs? We will be expanding our Juniors programs with more tournaments, opportunities to play, and week day camps. High School leagues 4s are offered on Fridays, with 18U and 15U. Junior 2s offered on Mondays, with a discounted rate. “Juniors” is the term that clubs, tournaments, and leagues call 18U, 16U, 14U and 12U age group. We offer Juniors in the Spring and Summer sessions.
18. What if I am having difficulty registering? The team is registered once the payment is received. Contact us via email at TheBeachAtSharkeys@gmail.com if you are having issues. We will reply as quickly as we can, and assist you. Please note that many business computers will block scripts, so you may have to register via your home computer or smartphone.